Ok, I’m just gonna say it…. I love bubbles, as much if not more than my kids. Yep, that’s right, I love ’em. In that moment when you see that bubble start to form so many beautiful thoughts crowd my busy, overloaded mind that it puts me in that mindful state of being that we all try so hard to achieve. Sitting cross-legged in a quiet room, doesn’t work. Even during my yoga practice, which I also love, that mindful state is easily pushed away by that awful “to-do” list. So, moms, I challenge you to try this awesome giant bubble recipe with your kids and just let the zen take over! And now, the recipe:
The things you will need for your bubble solution will be:
- large clean bucket
- “Ultra” dish soap (Dawn dish soap is an example)
- pure vegetable glycerin (available at Amazon or craft stores)
- corn starch
- baking powder
- distilled water
- empty and clean gallon size milk jug for storage
- large mixing spoon
- measuring cup
Directions for your bubble solution:
- Add 6 cups of distilled water to a large clean bucket.
- Dissolve 1/2 cup corn starch into distilled water
- Slowly add 1/2 cup ultra dish soap, 1 tablespoon baking powder and 1 tablespoon of glycerin to the water.
- Gently stir mixture together trying not to create foam or bubbles in the process.
- Cover bucket and set aside for at least one hour to allow ingredients to fully dissolve in the water.
- Using a funnel, poor the solution into the gallon jug for storage
The items you will need to create your home-made bubble wand will be:
- two 1/2″ x 36″ long wooden dowels or sticks that have fallen from the trees
- baker’s twine
- screw eyes
- 2 washers
- Washi tape (optional) to decorate your wand
Directions for your bubble wand:
- Screw into the end of each dowel one screw eye
- Cut 2 pieces of string, 3-feet long and 1.5-feet long.
- Tie both pieces to the end of 1 dowel.
- Thread 2 washers on to the longer piece of string and then tie other end of each piece of string to the end of the other dowel.
- When holding dowels up with ends about 2 feet apart, the string should form a triangle shape with the washer hanging at the bottom.
- Dip the bubble wand into the bubble solution, making sure the string is soaked.
- Slowly draw the ends of the wand up and open while blowing air into the resulting soap film and voila a large bubble with form along hours of entertainment for your kids…. and you busy mom!
We’d love to see how it all turned out for your family! Post pics and comments on your Instagram feed and tag @chicago_north_shore_moms.