This pumpkin pie recipe has been in our family as far back as I can remember. It’s my father’s specialty! I can still smell the fresh pumpkins and the pumpkin pies baking as he would make a big batch with those delicious graham cracker crusts! Now my own family makes a batch of pumpkin pies for Thanksgiving and New Year’s Eve! It’s a true hit, even among those who claim to not like pumpkin pie. If you make it send us a line and let me know how it goes! xoxo Ellie
Directions for cooking fresh pumpkins:
- Ask a grocery store associate for help with picking good pumpkins for pie.
- Carve the seeds out of your pumpkin and discard the top with the stem.
- Cut the pumpkin in half. Lay the two halves skin-down, on a cookie sheet pan wrapped in foil. Cook at 325º until it is very soft. This can take an hour, more or less, depending on thickness.
- The pumpkin will create a lot of moisture, which is less likely to drip with the foil cage. When you remove the pumpkin after it is cooked, be careful not to spill the juice. Also, the soft pumpkin is flimsy to get out of the oven. Discard the juice.
- scrape the pumpkin meat out and discard the skin.
- Puree the pumpkin.
Ingredients (Makes 1 Pumpkin Pie):
- 1 can of pumpkin ( or 2 cups fresh)
- 1 can of evaporated milk (full fat tastes better)
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp clove
- 1 pie crust hand-made or store bought. We like Honey Maid brand Graham Cracker Crust found in the cooking isle of your grocery store.
- Preheat oven to 425º.
- In a large bowl mix the pureed pumpkin, evaporated milk and 2 eggs. Add the sugars and mix. Add the spices until everything is well combined. There should not be any pumpkin lumps.
- Place your pie tin with ready-made crust in a foil-lined sheet pan with edges.
- Pour the mix into the pie crust and fill to the bottom of the crust edge.
- Heat pie at 425º for 15 minutes, then 350º for 35 minutes.
Pro tip: These pies can be frozen and re-heated for later. They taste just as good. If you are making multiple pies, decrease the oven temps 25º and increase cook times 10 minutes each stage. If the crust looks like it’s burning, simply tent foil over the pie(s).