There is no easy path to a new exercise routine but these 4 quick tips from React Physical Therapy‘s Kaitlin Iversen can help guide you for success. Just remember to progress slowly, listen to your body, rest appropriately and celebrate your achievements! If you enjoy what you are doing it will no longer feel like a chore.
- Ease your way into your new exercise regimen.
- Choose something familiar and is easily accessible at first to help with compliance.
- The goal should be to build on to each day/week.
- Allow your joints and muscles to adapt to the stressors of exercise to avoid overtraining or injury!
Pro PT Tip: Something is always better than nothing!
Choose Something you Enjoy!
- If you despise running, don’t run!
- It is important for compliance and accountability that you choose an exercise routine/type that you actually enjoy.
- You will drop out of the routine as fast as you joined if your exercise feels like a drag.
- Make it something you look forward to.
- Remember, when it comes to exercise, one size does not fit all!
Pro PT Tip: Work out with a friend or join a group class in-person or virtually that you have been wanting to try out!
Prepare your Mind and Body.
- It is paramount to any individual’s success that they incorporate both a warmup and cool down routine into their exercise regimen.
- Prepare your joints and muscles with stretching, dynamic warm up, proper sleep, diet, and proper hydration.
- This is crucial for longevity and prevention of injury!
Pro PT Tip: 6-8 hours of sleep is suggested. Drink 1/2 your body weight in ounces of water a day for proper hydration!
Set Realistic Goals
- No need to be a hero when first returning to exercise!
- Setting realistic and obtainable goals throughout your journey will help with accountability and overall success.
- Allow yourself to celebrate your achievements along the way!
- You can always modify goals throughout the process.
Pro PT Tip: Set weekly and monthly goals for both short term and long-term benchmarks.
If you are unsure of where to begin or find yourself with aches or pains after starting, reach out for a free screen from a Doctorate in Physical Therapy at React Physical Therapy! We have recently expanded our clinic in Wilmette to accommodate our patients and improve overall patient experience! We are here for you no matter where you are in your fitness journey! Reach out today to our Deerfield, Wilmette, or Chicago locations. -Kaitlin Iversen, PT, DPT, Cert. DN