We know that school just started, and you just got back into your routine, but it’s not too early to be thinking about listing your home this spring. Believe it or not, there’s lots to think about if you really want to put your best foot forward come February. Take it from two North Shore real estate experts, selling a home on the North Shore is different than anywhere else in the county. On the North Shore, buyers are savvy. They want to know exactly what they are buying, that the home has been well maintained and they don’t want to have unexpected expenses pop up after closing. As a result, home inspections have gotten a lot more comprehensive. As a seller, you need to be prepared.
There are lots of home selling checklists on the internet but none specific to our market. Our checklist will not only help you get the best offer for your home but it will also lead to a smooth transition from offer to close. Below are our recommendations for must do’s before you list.
Here’s the typical list. These things are important so we don’t want to overlook them.
- Find A Great Realtor, We Know a Few!
- Consider Curb Appeal
- De-Clutter (even inside of drawers, cabinets and closets)
- Fix Handles and Hardware
- Replace light Fixtures and window treatments if you want to take yours
- Place Plants (inside and at the front door)
- Repaint and touch up scuff marks
- Hide Valuables
- Mow the Lawn and Trim Trees
- Wash Windows
- Repair Roof, Shingles, Shutters, Gutters
- Remove Dead Trees
- Consider Staging if Necessary
- Add a Doormat to the Entrance
Here on the North Shore, sellers need to go the extra mile. Below are home maintenance items that when not well maintained, kill deals over and over again.
- Make sure your pest control company comes out before you list
- Inspect your home from top to bottom and make sure you don’t have mold growth – attics and basements are very susceptible and mold scares buyers but isn’t usually inexpensive of a fix.
- Rod your sewer pipe
- Make sure your chimney has been maintained
- Re-seal your driveway
We interviewed a couple of locals who recently bought on the North Shore. Here are some things they said about why they recently chose their home:
- “The kitchen. After seeing the amazing details and choices they made in this kitchen I was sold! Also, the front door was painted a great color that matches the rest of the house really well. It was an above and beyond measure and made me love the front of the house. There was obviously a lot of thought put into the remodel the sellers did, and the details and extra touches sold me for sure! Some of the houses and remodels I saw were obviously corners cut and quick fixes that stuck out like crazy.” – Jamie D.
- A floor plan with dimension was in the listing & that helped considerably so we could visualize the space & compare rooms with other listings” – James L.
Alberts + Maletsky Real Estate will make getting your house ready for market easier. That’s what we are here for. By connecting you with the right people, this work can get done before you even blink an eye. Contact us today to get started.