Chicago North Shore Moms is celebrating Father’s Day 2020 with very special Meet a Dad edition! Today’s Meet a Dad is Dale Schwartz, Father of four kids ages 1 to 21 and Owner and CEO of all 13 Pinstripes locations across the country (Northbrook is the flagship location). The Lake Forest dad couldn’t be nicer, more business savvy and… well, busy.
Hi Dale, please introduce yourself.
I hale from Cleveland, Ohio and I now live in Lake Forest. I moved to Chicago in 2006 to start Pinstripes.
You’re a dad, how many kiddos do you have and how old are they?
I have 4 children: Ben 5, Victor 3, Mia 1 and one stepdaughter, Camila 21.
What’s the best piece of advice you’ve gotten from another Dad?
Your kids will model their behavior on the 1,000 little things you say/do, more than any broad pronouncements/instructions…so act your age all or most of the time.
Please introduce Pinstripes. Concept, inspiration, timeline, etc. When was the first one established?
Pinstripes, Northbrook opened as our flagship location in May 2007. Inspiration was, and still is, to redefine the bowling experience and create a best-in-class dining and entertainment concept where people of all ages can gather/connect and enjoy wonderful food and fun (bowling and bocce). In 13 years we have opened 13 locations in nine states across the country, currently have signed leases for another 27 locations, and plan to open many more Pinstripes locations in the U.S. and international markets over the next 10-20 years.
How has your business been impacted by COVID 19?
COVID 19 required us to close all locations on March 16 and temporarily furlough our 1,400 team members. We are actively working on a comprehensive Re-Launch Plan to re-open all locations (regulations permitting) in mid-July. This Plan will include various COVID safety measures, as well as new and exciting product offerings such as:
- Curb-side pick-up.
- Two take-and-bake dishes (home-made BBQ ribs and lasagna).
- An American and Italian Party Package for 8 and 16 people that will include a portable bowling and bocce set for each Package, respectively.
- And, our large venues, with significant outdoor patio spaces, will uniquely allow us to satisfy the current social distancing concerns.
Who are your business mentors?
My personal Pinstripes mentors:
- Jack Greenberg, former CEO of McDonalds. He is a Pinstripes Board Member and close friend who has provided over 12 years of wise advice.
- Yorgo Koutsogiorgas, Pinstripes Board Member and friend of 14 years, who was a Maggiano’s founder and now CEO of Giordano’s Pizzeria.
- And finally, for the last six years, my wife Yamila, who helps provide balance and perspective to many decisions.
What’s next for Pinstripes?
We had plans in motion to open Aventura, Florida and La Jolla CA in 2020. Due to COVID, these new locations will open in 2021. Many other locations are slated for the next several years in Atlanta, Seattle, Jacksonville, LA, Tampa!